Modern Religious Experience: Reflection #4: Buddhist Meditation: "Spend 20 mintues in a silent meditation; a place you won't be disturbed, your own 'fig tree' as was Buddha's inspiration. In those 20 minutes..."
The assignment required for one to meditate and attempt to attain right thought, mindfulness, and concentration. I sat on my bed, in the lotus position. I expected the task to be simple and quick, but I was completely wrong. During the first 10 minutes, I was distracted by the slightest sounds and movements. Also, I caught myself constantly checking the clock. It felt as if time had slowed down. My mind had wandered to random thoughts of food, volleyball, and homework. Finally, I tried to remember what we had discussed in class and ways to clear my mind. I began to breathe deeply through my nose and felt my shoulders relax. I didn't completely empty my mind, but I felt very calm and at peace. I felt relieved of stress and my mind no longer thought about the essay due tomorrow, or dinner. In spite of that, I felt inspired to exercise my body and help the environment. I'm actually not quite sure how those thoughts had formed in my head. I suppose they formed when I began to think about life's truths. After I was finished with my meditation, I took action. I went outside, started jogging and recycled my milk carton. Truthfully, I believe that this meditation influenced myself for the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment